I continue to be impressed by just how capably GCB has found its voice after a promising albeit slightly rough start. This was another highly amusing hour that effectively utilized its entire cast to great success.
First off, the main musical plot was handled wonderfully. I love that the writers haven’t forgotten about Amanda’s evil past and intend to bring that out frequently. Goody-two shoes protagonists are boring so this adds a welcome dimension to the character. Moreover, it brings out some poignant reactions from the rest of the girls. Sure it’s funny to see evil Amanda surface, but it also conveys just how traumatized and damaged Heather, Cricket, and Carlene are. It’s a fine and poignant line that the show has balanced perfectly so far.
Not only was the episode’s main plot entertaining, but I might have loved Sharon & Gig’s subplot more. It was just so amusing to see Gigi try to change Sharon only to realize at the end that’s she’s better just the way she is. There was an added layer of sadness when Sharon finally admitted to her family’s tough financial situation. Jennifer Aspen is truly phenomenal and is really becoming one of my favorite characters on the show
Prayers & Pieces
– Loved Cricket pointing at Heather during her speech while mentioning “diversity.”
– Utterly hysterical entrance by Carlene during Cricket’s performance as they “sang” together and the former ended it with a shot from her confetti gun. – I cracked up when the rival Priest mistook Carlene for a “wounded ostrich”.
– I cracked up when the rival Priest mistook Carlene for a “wounded ostrich”.- Gigi’s tips for Sharon were fantastic. Especially the whole using her hands and lowering her voice bit.
– Gigi’s tips for Sharon were fantastic. Especially the whole using her hands and lowering her voice bit. – Carlene blackmailing Heather into getting her role back; wonderfully sneaky.
– Carlene blackmailing Heather into getting her role back; wonderfully sneaky.- Gigi constantly reminding Sharon not to say “
– Gigi constantly reminding Sharon not to say “y’all”. Brilliant. As was Sharon randomly mumbling about the Middle East!-
– Very cool moment with Amanda tapping into her evil side and snapping at the girls.
– I really like Amanda’s touching relationship with Pasteur Tudor.- Hilarious moment when Sharon horrifyingly realizes she just sold 500 meal “plans”.
– Hilarious moment when Sharon horrifyingly realizes she just sold 500 meal “plans”. – Loved the girls’ defense postures when Amanda surprised them. Particularly Cricket and her Tai Kwan Do (great continuity here).
– Loved the girls’ defense postures when Amanda surprised them. Particularly Cricket and her Tai Kwan Do (great continuity here).
– Obviously the strongest scene of the hour was Amanda egging the girls on until they finally snapped and dumped mud on her (and each other). The gang definitely has chemistry.
– Ripp saving the day and tapping into Jesus was pretty unexpected.
– Carlene flying into the glass; beyond epic.
– Great final touch with the girls overshadowing Amanda as she bows to the applause. The war rages on…
Cricket: Carlene is The Holy Ghost?
Carlene: Thank you Crick, shout it from the mountain tops like a true friend and a good loser.
Sharon: I want to change people’s lives, and eating biblically has done that for me.
Carlene: Sorry I’m late. I had Carmalita hot-glue some extra rhinestones to my Holy Spirit costume. Burned her thumbs poor thing but she’s happy to do it for one of the Trinity.
Technician: This is specifically calibrated to your body weight. You can’t gain an ounce before opening night.
Cricket: I’m on day four of an ice-cube & bamboo cleanse. Not a problem.
Ripp: That’s my line.
Carlene: Really? I felt so motivated to speak.
Pleasant and as witty as ever, this was another strong offering by GCB.