Woah! Talk about a total game-changer. This episode’s final moments truly epitomized the kind of risks TVD is always willing to take and which cement it as one of the most consistently thrilling shows on television.
We’ll get to Elena in a moment but all in all, this was a pretty spectacular finale. The episode’s most powerful sequence was undoubtedly the juxtaposition of the show’s original car crash (Elena & her parents) with Elena & Matt’s accident. It was superbly edited with a perfect and haunting song choice to boot. I loved the various character inter-cutting together as we saw Stefan save Elena the first time as her father’s request, and then save Matt at Elena’s request. The entire scene was drenched with emotion and just beautifully done.
But of course, we must discuss the episode’s biggest development: Elena is now a vampire. That’s pretty damn mind-blowing. I won’t lie, I’ve actually been wanting this to happen ever since Elena had that touching scene on the mountain last year where she said she doesn’t ever want to become a vampire. Honestly Nina Dobrev is much better playing the strong kickass character (as evident by her performances as Katherine) than a whiny love-struck teenage. So really this is a fantastic choice in my opinion and will undoubtedly elevate the show to a whole other level. The fact that she will also now remember that she met Damon first practically pushes the reset button on the the love triangle making it considerably more awesome in the process. I have a feeling season four will be the show’s strongest offering yet.
Bits & Bites
– Pretty cool opening dream with Aunt Jenna & Elena’s mom. And I’d forgotten how hot Nina look in her cheerleader.
– Elijah’s back! It’s been a while.
– Fantastic Stefan-Elena kiss. First time I felt his passion in a long time.
– Unfortunately Tyler is starting to rub off on Caroline as she’s starting to annoy me too.
– I really enjoyed Elena telling Matt what the brothers mean to her.
– Matt drugging Elena. Talk about balls.
– Chilling scene as Alaric kills Klaus and rushes after Rebekah.
– I adored Damon and Elena’s first meeting. Outstanding.
– Heartbreaking scene as Elena tells Damon she chooses Stefan.
– Well at least we’re done with the actor that plays Klaus. Too bad we’re stuck with Tyler now who is almost as bad.
– Can Bonnie please become our big bad for season four?
– Alaric dying in Damon’s hands and then saying goodbye to Jeremy was pretty darn sad.
– Could the final shot of Elena waking up been more perfect?
– Something however was “off” about this hour that stops it as a whole from being perfect. I can’t quite put my finger on it…
Elijah: Do we have a deal?
Damon: No no no no. Did I mention no?
Damon: (To Stefan) Have I told you lately how much I appreciate you not being the dumbest brother on Earth?”
Stefan: What would you have done Damon?
Damon: Grabbed her, gagged her, thrown her in a well.
Must Download Tune
Sigor Ros – Daudaogn
A marvelous finale with one heck of a killer cliffhanger.