A bit of backstory on Michael was a long time coming and this hour did not disappoint. It gave the character some much-needed dimensions and further complicated Nikita‘s dynamics and mythology.
The revelation that Michael was married, with a daughter no less was an undeniably interesting one. The flashback with his family dying in a explosion was pretty darn heartbreaking and Shane West sold it like nobody’s business. After a slew of episodes where all he had to do was grunt and frown, this hour allowed West to really showcase his formidable range. I was also impressed by the fact that Kassim wasn’t painted as a one-dimensional villain. It’s too easy to do that with one-shot guest stars but he showed genuine regret for taking away Michael’s family which was a welcome development.
Moreover, I absolutely loved Nikita & Michael working together on the op. They have a wonderful, playful dynamic that just pops off the screen anytime they’re on. And that final call as she begged him not to go through with the murder was just excellent. And of course, her getting him detained at the airport was genius. Always thinking on her feet that one.
Finally, I have to mention that visually, this episode more than any that have come before, was just a stunning piece of film. You’d never think this was a CW show as it looked like a feature-length picture and that’s an achievement of monumental proportions.
Bits & Bullets
– Seriously no cameras in the infirmary? I’m glad the doctor suspected Alex or things would have been way too easy.
– What was the point of the in media res opening if we got to it within 7 minutes? It’s not like it was was that exciting. Pretty pointless and stupid if you ask me.
– Awesome moment with Alex injecting the doctor and knocking him out.
– Maggie looked particularly smoking in that dress (as always). And she plays the drunken floozy well.
– Loved the visual of Nikita kicking ass through Michael’s sniper rifle.
– The cinematography during the outdoor fight scene was gorgeous.
– I am beyond impressed by Nikita’s fight choreography. Loved Maggie throwing the empty gun in the guy’s face and then flipping her way to a beatdown.
– Hmmm water-boarding. That’s always a treat.
– Alex setting up Jayden in exchange for her help in getting rid of the Doctor was pretty darn clever.
– Nikki getting herself a police car: too cool as always.
– I got goosebumps when Michael gave Nikita that chilling look at the end after she got him subdued.
– Percy pitching Division to Michael in the flashback was so convincing I practically wanted to sign up myself.
– Stunning ending with Nikki telling Alex that she found Michael and then she lost him.
Nikita: I saved your life.
Micheal: Then I saved yours.
Nikita: Great. Co-dependent relationship.
Michael: Because I am still Division and you’re still
Ahmed: Where I come from, this is like mother’s milk.
Nikita: I’d hate to meet your mother.
Ahmed: She was an icy bitch.
Nikita: Revenge is not the answer.
Michael: Excuse me, is this Nikita talking?
Another exhilarating and surprisingly touching hour from a solid debut season.