Woah. This felt more like a season finale than a premiere. But that’s what makes The Vampire Diaries so damn special; it steamrolls through and never lets up. Although I don’t think any of us doubted that Elena would turn, they managed to drag out her transformation in heartbreaking fashion.
I think the writers exhausted all that they could do with the Elena character so I’m so thankful they went there and vamped her up. It’s a bold and gutsy move that will undeniably reinvigorate the show (not that it needed it). I really can’t wait to see Nina grow into her new role as this premiere was already her strongest episode as an actress to date. The sequence with Elena reaching for that one drop of blood gave me goosebumps and proved to be a chilling indication of what’s to come.
While the love triangle will undoubtedly always remain at the forefront of the show, I’m impressed that they had Elena stick to her Stephen decision even with the knowledge of the unlocked memories. It’s an unexpected development that felt strangely admirable. Nonetheless, we all know Elena can’t stay away from Damon for too long. Speaking of the brothers, it was fascinating to witness both of their widely contrasting reactions to Elena’s predicament and particularly their treatment of Matt. While Damon predictably tried to kill him, Stephen urged him to be grateful for being alive.
I’m also loving Bonnie’s immersion into the dark side. Honestly I think it would be a fantastic move to turn her into this season’s Big Bad. It would make the stakes personal and give the character more to do besides conveniently chant spells when needed. Thankfully, it looks like the seeds are being planted for such a move (but you can also never tell with this show).
Bits & Bites
– Can I just say that the “previously” segment with our three leads narrating was incredibly well edited? That’s how it should be done people.
– Elena laughing hysterically with her heightened emotions broke my heart.
– Beautiful scene as Elena watches the unlocked memory between herself and Damon.
– Epic moment as Tyler/Klaus intercepts Rebecca & Caroline’s transport van.
– Klaus almost ripping out Tyler’s heart was beyond intense.
– Elena’s “I picked you” speech to Stephen was very moving. Nina knocked this episode out of the park.
– I quite enjoyed Rebecca helping Elena get to the blood. I really do hope she sticks around as she’s one of my favorites.
– Adored Vamp Elena making her first apperance and saving Matt from Damon. This is gonna be a fun year.
– Can Klaus please leave the show already? I still think this guy is The Vampire Diaries’ biggest (and only) major misstep so far.
– Elena’s showed surprising maturity in dealing with Vampirism during that final scene with Stephen. I’m impressed.
– Shocking little ending. with the pastor killing himself and his army of followers. What now?
Rebecca: You should know better than to sneak up on a lady.
Damon: Good advice, have you seen one?
Caroline: (To Tyler) You’re miraculously alive. We’re fugitives on the run. All signs point to hot hybrid-vampire sex.
Caroline: I need to go sanitize my mouth.
Must Download Tunes
Twice by Little Dragon
Wait For The Morning by Amy Stroup
A strong opener that sets the stage for a potentially mind-blowing season.