Finally! This was the first truly great Revenge episode of the season and I couldn’t be more pleased. I was starting to lose my passion for the show but this hour singlehandedly proved me wrong by weaving together a splendid web of intrigue around several moving developments.
The teaser alone was stronger than the previous four episodes combined as Kara Clarke walked back into Victoria’s life and gave her a big hug while the latter contemplated stabbing her with pruning shears. Madeline Stowe played the scene beautifully and I look forward to seeing her interact with Jennifer Jason Leigh on a more permanent basis.
Emily VanCamp also got to display some of her best work yet as she dealt with her mother’s suspicious yet moving cries for forgiveness, as well as Amanda’s overall predicament. Emily knocked it out of the park as she was finally given something to do besides pout and reflect pensively. Here’s hoping she starts kicking ass and taking names (or rather striking names off her list again) soon.
– Epic first meeting between Emily and Kara (who doesn’t know she’s her daughter) culminating with Mason Treadwell’s arrival.
– It was heartbreaking to watch Kara plead for forgiveness as Emily cried outside the bedroom.
– Loved Amanda and Emily finally apologizing for all of their double crosses and lies.
– Brilliant decision to reuse Angus & Julia Stone’s music from the pilot as Emily found herself on the beach yet again. Stunning.
– Excellent ending with Mason telling FauxAmanda that he knows she’s faking the identity.
Kara: Such a beautiful home. So smart to build it right on the ocean; you can see your enemies coming.
Victoria: My enemies are becoming increasingly difficult to identify.
Nolan: (to Emily) That’s good for revenge-y stuff but sad for you.
Mason: Where have you been?
Mason: Why that’s one of my favorite places.
Mason: There may be no sadder sight than a woman attempting to rob her own house unless of course you misplaced something, like the dead woman who I hear has been sleeping in this bed. Through being dead is de rigueur around here these days.
Victoria: You should try it sometime Mason.
Emotional and highly captivating, this hour was a return to form for Revenge.