I’ve always had an immense mount of faith in TVD‘s writers. They don’t drag things out, every episode feels like a season finale, and the show in general is just almost always a spectacular delight. However, this is one of the first times I have such an issue with one of their writing decisions.
The development I have a problem with is the supposed reveal that Elena is sired to Damon. Honestly it feels like a slap in the face to all Delena fans who have waited so long for that admittedly fantastic sex scene. Caroline’s revelation rendered the whole sequence rape-y and disturbing. This could be a red herring, and the writers could very well backtrack from this twist, but for the time being at least, it feels like a cheap and forced attempt to drag out the love triangle and yet again depict Elena as powerless (after her recent surge in determination and strength). I just really wanted Elena to willingly choose Damon after everything that happened so the ending made me very angry. But, I’m willing to give the writers the benefit of the doubt (because God knows they’ve earned it) and see what happens next.
In addition, I may in the minority but I still hate Klaus. Joseph Morgan continues to bore me, and I have absolutely no investment in his relationship with Caroline. Moreover, I can’t take him seriously as a love interest after being the show’s Big Bad for so long. It just doesn’t feel like an organic development. The less said about Tyler and wolf-chick the better. It’s sad really that I dislike a lot of the show’s current cast but I still love the show and I’m really hoping it bounces back with its mid-season finale next week.
Bits & Bites
– The look on Damon’s face when Elena told him she left Stefan was brilliant. It feels very earned after four seasons.
– Stefan’s obsession with curing Elena is really creeping me out. He’s becoming very unlikeable (particularly how he forced Jeremy to kill the vampire).
– Jeremy stabbing Elena was pretty darn shocking.
– Elena asking Matt to move in with Jeremy was very fitting. And her moving in with Damon and promptly kicking out Stefan (who deserves it) was awesome.
– Wolf-girl working with Professor Shane at least links a bunch of subplots together so props for that.
– Let me reiterate. I absolutely adored the final Elena and Damon scene (if I can block out the sire crap). Everything from the beautiful dance to the animalistic sex scene, it’s actually one of the best scenes the show has ever done and that’s quite the accomplishment.
Stefan: (to Damon) Let’s not pretend this isn’t the best day of your life.
Klaus: What time shall I pick you up tomorrow?
Caroline: How about a quarter to never?
Elena: My brother wants to kill me.
Damon: Welcome to the club.
Must Download Tunes
Let’s Go by Matt & Kim
Kiss Me By Ed Sheeran
While I’m sure many adored this hour, I can’t let the final “twist” slide so easily. A frustrating episode of The Vampire Diaries.