As I watched The Vampire Diaries’ midseason return, I found myself frustrated by just how exposition-y the hour was. Yes Rebekah had “compelled” practically half the cast into divulging their feelings but it just felt too contrived and forced. The writers needed Elena to speak her heart and they found the easiest solution to do so. But then something happened that reminded why I love this show: Elena called Damon and finally professed her love for him. Ian Somerhalder completely knocked the scene out of the park as he responded “come to me now” and tearfully (yet thankfully) looked up into the sky. This exceptionally touching and poignant moment reminded me that beyond the insane plot twists and unrelenting action, it’s the emotion that keeps me coming back to TVD. Well done Ian, you singlehandedly elevated the episode into awesomeness.
As for the rest of the episode, I appreciated the fact that everyone orbited around one common goal: the cure. The show needs the focus after a turbulent season that hasn’t exactly blown my socks off the way I wanted it too. Nevertheless, now that we have so many pairings (particularly Stefan and Rebekah’s new partnership), things will definitely be getting quite explosive from here on out. I have a feeling the rest of the season just might fulfill the epic quotient this show is famous for and I can’t wait.
Bits & Bites
– Damon running a boot-camp? Highly amusing.
– I’m intriguing by the decision to make Bonnie’s dad the town’s new mayor.
– If Rebecca says “she’s compelled” one more time…
– I really want to meet this Silas. Here’s hoping he’s more threatening than boring old Klaus.
– April drowning thanks to Bonnie’s protection spell was pretty cool. I kind of wish she died as Bonnie’s arc needs more impact.
– Tyler attacking the group was anticlimactic, but we at least got a moving moment with him crying over his mom in Caroline’s arms.
– I love how this show always picks the perfect songs. It’s usually music I’ve never heard before but they used one of my favorites here during the epic Elena/Damon call. It’s a gorgeous tune by Snow Patrol called New York.
– The final scene was pretty awesome with Klaus lining up 12 humans in transition for Jeremy to slaughter. Little Gilbert is fast becoming one of the show’s MVPs.
Jeremy: You see that?
Damon: Couldn’t miss it. It was in slow motion.
Rebecca: So, vampire Elena is a trollop who likes bad boys which explains why Stefan reeks of alcohol.
Damon: (To Jeremy) I’ve updated our relationship status to: It’s Complicated.
Elena: Being with Damon makes me happy.
Rebecca: Makes you happy? Clowns make you happy Elena, dig a little deeper.
Rebecca: Did that hurt?
Rebecca: Welcome to the last 900 years of my life.
Must Download Tunes
New York by Snow Patrol
Nothing Will Ever Change (This Love Of Mine) by Jimmy Jules
Thanks to one breathtaking scene, this was an extremely satisfying hour of The Vampire Diaries.