This season is on fire.
I’ve always felt like the real relationship at the heart of Nikita was the complicated dynamic between Nikita and Alex. Yes Michael and Nikki might be the obvious couple at the center of it all, but the aforementioned duo have a profound friendship that’s endured countless trials over the past three seasons.
And that’s what makes this episode’s ending so impactful; Nikita and Alex standing on opposites ends of a room as Ryan walks in, commends them both and tells them they “make a great team.” But do they really? Because thanks to the sinister seeds Amanda planted within Alex’s head, there’s a great big divide brewing between the warrior women and they obviously know it. The look between Nikita and her protege was immensely powerful, and proved to be an especially ominous note to end things on.
Amanda’s always been exceptionally skilled at psychological warfare, and while I would have liked to her hold Alex captive for a longer period, it’s obvious they were going for the aftermath of the kidnapping. The princess’ mental state was obviously compromised after she lost Larissa (the medic) because of “Nikita’s mission”. Of course to make matters worse, Nikita couldn’t save Ari either! I’m going to miss that creep; he actually became quite likeable over the last few weeks and his death scene was undoubtedly cool – bashing Amanda with the black box only to get shot in the back as he fells into Nikita’s arms.
Bits & Bullets
– I seriously wanted to punch Amanda when she started choking poor Alex.
– The look on Amanda’s face when Alex revealed Ari turned himself in (instead of being captured) was just priceless.
– Hilarious move by Team Nikki in transporting Ari in the coffin. Even Nikki’s fake grief was amusing.
– Owen confronting Sean about “latching” onto unavailable women was a long time coming. Where will their dynamic go next?
– Ryan really is Percy 2.0 with the whole kill-chip in Ari’s head huh?
– Loved Alex’s badass attempt at escaping – up against an army.
– Ari was delightful constantly taking jabs at Owen’s intelligence.
– Loved Alex referencing the dream (running Zetrov) she had in season one’s “Echoes“.
– Great little moment with the team fighting back and Ari saving Owen’s life.
– I love Owen’s loyalty to Nikita as he dutifully handed over the kill-chip trigger.
– Although Larissa’s ordeal really got to me, I was sure she was a plant by Amanda. We’re obviously still missing something with Alex creepily staring at that surgery (!) chair. Did Amanda do something else to her?
– Nikita keeps killing Amanda’s number one henchman. Who will Mandy hire next?
– Loved Ari reiterating “It’s the life we’ve chosen” with his final breath. Truer words have never been spoken.
Ari: I’m assuming it’s not even a consideration that you’ll be signing my death warrant.
Michael: You should have picked your girlfriend better.
Nikita: Screw Amanda.
Amanda: I’d offer you some tea but I don’t think these people can boil water.
Alex: Still keeping high-class company I see.
Alex: So what’s the plan? Torture, videotaped and sent to Nikita?
Amanda: Perhaps later. But for now let’s keep it casual.
Amanda: Don’t gloat Alex. It wasn’t your victory, it was Nikita’s as they all are. You’re just a background player.
Ari: Besides if you die, Amanda wins. And to quote your eloquence: Screw Amanda.
Brimming with tension, this was yet another outstanding hour of Nikita.