Well this was better than expected. I’ve really been falling out of love with The Vampire Diaries lately but I have high hopes for next week’s finale.
I’m going to sound very evil here but I loved the fact that Bonnie was basically killed off in the episode’s final moments. It’s hard to take death seriously on TVD, but somehow this loss felt very permanent. The problem with Bonnie is that she never really evolved into anything more than a plot device. Whenever one of the gang needed a spell, they’d call their friend the witch and that was it. The character was rendered nothing more than a deux ex machina so good riddance is all I can say. Please stick to it writers!
Now that the veil has been dropped, the show can travel to some seriously dark places in next week’s finale (and hopefully next season as well). We got to see Alaric, Kole, Lexie, and Rebekah’s old boyfriend return, in addition to a bunch of our favorite vampire hunters lead by Connor (who have now surrounded Rebekah and Matt). There’s a ridiculous number of possibilities here, not to mention the plethora of characters that should be making a return in the finale as well. This could be epic.
Elena has had a tumultuous season to say the least, but I enjoyed her quest to kill Katharine this week and the fact that she got to see Jeremy again. Their reunion was immensely moving, and it’s heartbreaking to fathom that Elena doesn’t have any family left. Nina Dobrev was exceptional (a running theme this year) and I’m left wondering where exactly the show will be going next year after the characters graduate. It’s not like they can all pack up and travel to different colleges across the states. There has to be a reason to keep them all in Mystic Falls or the show will look vastly different next year. Suffice to say, I’m very intrigued.
Bits & Bites
– Although I was never a fan of Alaric, it was great to see him bonding with Damon again. However, I was creeped out when he asked Damon about his love-life (since that’s referring to Elena after all).
– Loved Silas harassing Bonnie with his many different faces.
– My favorite moment of the episode was probably Elena crying at Jeremy’s grave about not wanting to move on. It was an incredibly written scene that was beautifully performed.
– Excellent moment with Jeremy saving his sister from Kol. I felt like cheering.
– So is Silas done with? He’s a stone statue now? And Damon has the cure now. Wonderful.
Bonnie: This is the site where 12 witches were killed.
Katherine: 13 if you don’t get to the point.
An entertaining and somewhat shocking penultimate episode of The Vampire Diaries.