Review by Tagouga
She should have won! While Cristina Yang had the most votes, hailing from Seattle Grace Mercy Death ultimately screwed her over. Everyone had a hard time coping with the loss of their fellow surgeon: Meredith lashed out at anyone with the last name Avery, Cristina was nowhere to be found, and Webber flew across the country to see Catherine. It’s there that we discovered that due to the hospital’s affiliation with the Harper Avery foundation, no surgeon from Grey-Sloan memorial will ever win the Harper Avery award.
As if this was not enough, Cristina’s heart patients suffered this week as Frankie’s matching heart failed and Ivy’s health deteriorated. With both girls in critical condition and only one heart available, Cristina was forced to make a decision on who gets the heart – I was under the impression, given previous episodes, that UNOS were very strict about who gets the transplant. In all cases, the heart ended up going to Ivy while Frankie sadly passed away. Although this was pretty heartbreaking, it felt good having medical cases which we cared about; it had been a while since we had memorable patients. All of this, along with the loss of the award, led Cristina to make the difficult decision of leaving the hospital in a very powerful final scene. At the end, she realized that while she did the best she could in both cases, everything still went wrong and she just couldn’t see the point of anything.
In the second ongoing medical case, Bubble Boy’s mom had a change of heart and decided that she was not sure if the doctors know what’s best for her son. And even though she signed the consent to move forward with the procedure, she later backed out. However, Bailey seems to be determined to go through with the disabled HIV injection. Is this legal? Should the mother have her decision in writing? This will not go smoothly for Bailey.
Bits & Scalpels
– Derek’s sister was pretty useless in this hour. Let’s hope she gets more screen time in case she stays around for a few episodes.
– Alex informed the board of his decision to leave (which won’t really happen since Justin Chambers signed a new 2-year deal with the show).
– April is pregnant. I really tried to care but I don’t.
– Anyone else hate Russel? I actually forgot he was head of cardio surgery.
– Poor Jackson. He was the guy everybody loved to hate in this episode.
– Meredith: The children broke your sister.
– Meredith: Tell them that if they cut my funding, I cut their tires.
– Meredith: Cristina Yang deserved that award, not Dr. Nobody Sucks a Lot from Hopkins. And tell them in short sentences with little, tiny words, because they are boneheads!
– Callie: Kepner, get out of my vagina!
Joy Williams – Ordinary World
Joe Gil – What’s On Your Mind (Pure Energy)
Aron Wright & Jill Andrews – We Built This City
The show has been on a roll and this episode did NOT disappoint! Next week is Isaiah Washington’s return, and I believe he is going to be offering Cristina a job at a place where she would finally be able to win an award. Can’t wait!