Well that was disappointing.
The biggest issue with Fight of Flight is that the show completely forgot about Kara’s aunt and Big Bad: General Astra. My question is, WHY? It just robs the momentum right out of the season when we have to focus on a lame villain of the week (who’s not even an alien I might add). Of course Kara was going to fail the first few times she went up against him, only to discover some deux ex machina in the end and kick his ass. It’s so formulaic it’s cringeworthy.
On the bright side, the cast is still top-notch. I continue to fall in love with Melissa week after week, and I’m thankful that Cat Grant is receiving even more layers instead of playing the stereotypical boss. Calista Flockhart is one of my favorite TV actresses (and this is from someone who never watched Ally McBeal but adored Brothers & Sisters) and she’s an absolute hoot on Supergirl. Sure she’s mean to Kara, but she’s just so devious and witty that she owns every single scene.
And can we please mention Superman’s two appearances this week? First he saved Kara (which we saw from her blurry perspective), and then he praised her via chat with smileys and all. I get that the Man of Steel is important, but it just felt unnecessary to keep referencing him so often. Hopefully the writers got it out of they system for now and we can focus exclusively on Kara’s journey.
– Talk about paying off your cliffhanger in the lamest way possible. That interview was the pits.
– Loved Kara flinging the door at Reactron. In general, the action scenes are pretty great.
– As unbelievable as the show is, it was even more annoying to see that Kara and her gang set up a base INSIDE the CatCo building. Seriously?
– Winn’s jealousy of James is kind of funny. Also, James was pretty careless with Clark’s identity!
– If I hear the phrase “my cousin” one more time, I might blow up Earth myself!
– So Cat previously dated Maxwell? I really don’t like him. Uber sleazeball.
– I see Alex’s boss (whose name always eludes me) still has glow-y red eyes. Hmm…
– So we’ve got a new character: Lois Lane’s sister Lucy, played by Jenna Dewan. And she’s got history with Jimmy! Yay love triangle *cringe*
– Nice little bit with Kara telling Alex not to watch Homeland without her.
Cat: Any plans to start a family?
Kara: Nobody ever asks my cousin these questions.
Kara: She’s like a villain. She’s like a super interviewing villain.
Winn: That is literally the most boring power ever.
Kat: The Daily Planet can suck it. I scooped them.
Cat: Kerah, I am very proud of the fact that in my many years of being a CEO I have never thrown a phone at an assistant. I would very much like to keep that record intact.
Max: How did you manage to get an exclusive with Supergirl?
Cat: Girl knows power when she sees it. She flew right to me.
Kara: If that pot sticker is not in my mouth in two seconds, I will melt your face.
Alex: I hope you get fat.
Cecilia and the Satellite by Andrew McMahon In the Wilderness
A weak and uninspired hour. Let’s hope the show bounces back next week!