After Joffrey’s explosive demise, this was a somewhat underwhelming hour of Game of Thrones.
Although the final sequence with Dany outside Mereen’s gates wasn’t as explosive as last year’s massacre, it was still compelling to witness the Mother of Dragons impose herself in a less violent way. The reveal of the catapults flinging broken chains was actually quite poignant, and it allowed the hour to bookend on an intriguing moment of truth as a slave stared at the chains while his master watched on in fear.
And there’s what is arguably the most controversial scene in Game of Thrones history: Cersei’s “rape” at the hands of her brother/lover Jaime. I’ve read a lot about this sequence, in fact there’s a whole Wikipedia page dedicated to the controversy and the thoughts of everyone involved. It’s certainly a very unsettling sequence, and I think it somewhat succeeds at blurring the lines of what is considered rape. Cersei and Jaime never had the most normal of relationships, so it’s kind of believable (in a twisted sort of way) that Jaime would force himself on his sister right beside their son’s dead body. Or not…
Bits & Beheadings
– Pretty cool teaser picking up moments where we left off as King’s Landing is put on lockdown and Sansa escapes at the last second thanks to Littlefinger! This can’t be good.
– Fascinating scene between Margaery and Olenna discussing the aftermath of Joffrey’s death (see the exchange below). I love these women.
– Tywin giving future king Tommen the monologue about being a ruler was pretty interesting. Even more fascinating is the fact that he so obviously insults Joffrey in front of his grieving mother.
– Those weird eye things on Joffrey’s face. Yuck.
– I can’t get enough of the adventures of Arya and The Hound. On their way to the Eyrie, Arya brilliantly lies to a farmer and gets them logging, only for The Hound to rob the man. Ha! Nice try mini Stark.
– I found the Sam/Gilly subplot to be painfully dull. He moves her to Mole’s Town for her safety and it’s all as exciting as toast.
– Stannis is convinced he got Joffrey killed thanks to Melisandre’s leech seduction (which also resulted in the Stark deaths). Is Greyjoy next?
– The gem of the hour: the Oberyn/Ellaria orgy culminating with Tywin interfering and facing off with Oberyn before offering him a seat on the council for Tyrion’s trial.
– Tyrion and Podrick’s scene in the jail was actually quite touching. I loved hearing the imp tell the man that he was the most loyal squire ever. #Bromance.
– Absolutely vicious attack by the Wildlings on the village! How disturbing is Tormund telling the little boy that he’ll be “eating” his parents? Yuck.
– Daario was definitely at his most likable this week as he stepped up as Dany’s champion and made short work of Mereen’s champion. Loved the shot of his opponent falling off his horse and then rising from the dust and getting sliced. And the pissing moment was kind of hilarious.
– I just love the way Emilia Clarke pronounces “FIRE” in Valyrian as she signals the catapults. So much anger and power. And in a made-up language? That ain’t easy.
– The use of the iconic “Dracarys” musical piece is perfect in the final scene.
Kings & Quips
Littlefinger: Money buys a man’s silence for a time. A bolt in the heart buys it forever.
Margaery: One of my husbands preferred the company of men and was stabbed through the heart. Another was happiest torturing animals and was poisoned at our wedding feast. I must be cursed.
Olenna: Nonsense. Your circumstances have improved markedly. You may not have enjoyed watching him die, but you enjoyed it more than you would have enjoyed being married to him, I can promise you that.
Margaery: But I would have been the queen.
Olenna: Our alliance with the Lannisters remains every bit as necessary to them as it is unpleasant for us. You did wonderful work on Joffrey. The next one should be easier.
Tywin: King Robert was strong. He spent his time whoring and hunting and drinking until the last two killed him.
The Hound: No, I don’t have a map.
Arya: Maybe we should get one.
The Hound: Just point out the next map shop you see and I’ll buy you one.
The Hound: (to the praying farmer) You got to do all seven of the fuckers?
Farmer: We ask the Crone to guide us on our journey from darkness to darkness.
The Hound: And we ask the Stranger not to kill us in our beds tonight for no damn reason at all.
The Hound: Dead men don’t need silver.
Arya: You’re the worst shit in the Seven Kingdoms.
The Hound: There’s plenty worse than me. I just understand the way things are. How many Starks they got to behead before you figure it out?
Oberyn: When it comes to war, I fight for Dorne. When it comes to love, I don’t choose sides.
Oberyn: Are you interrogating me, Lord Tywin?
Tywin: Some believe the king choked.
Oberyn: Some believe the sky is blue because we live inside the eye of a blue-eyed giant.
Tyrion: They’ll be following you now.
Podrick: Who will?
Tyrion: I don’t know. They. They. The ominous they. The man pulling the strings. Or woman.
Tyrion: (about Cersei) She is the only one I’m certain had nothing to do with this murder. Which makes it unique as King’s Landing murders go.
Daenerys: You sure you don’t want a horse?
Daario: Why would I want a horse?
Daenerys: Horses are faster than men.
Daario: Horses are dumber than men.
Not the most thrilling of hours, particularly after last week’s stunner. You can do better show!