Even though ABC will probably keep this show on the air for as long as Shonda Rhimes and Viola Davis want, I think it’s time the writers start planning their endgame right now.
There’s just a lot of negative energy on this show, and that’s expected when your main character is a self-destructive maniac, but it’s becoming awfully tiring to watch. The Annalise/Nate fight is probably the fastest any fight on television history has gone from calm and quiet to cancerous and disgusting. What reaction were we supposed to have to Annalise repeatedly screaming “hit me” other than fascination in Viola Davis’ top-notch performance? It’s exhausting just writing about it, and I would have much preferred to spend more time with Eve (the always-incredible Famke Janssen), who sadly won’t be returning anytime soon (but let’s hope I’m wrong).
With Annalise suspended from university (a move about two years too late), Bonnie takes the lead on a case even though it’s practically illegal for her to do so. Her conversations with Asher are about as negative and damaging as Annalise and Nate’s, especially when Bonnie reminds us about Asher’s gang rape story. Good lord, is there ANY character worth rooting for here?
Finally, it’s worth noting that there are two bombshells at the end of the hour. Frank murders Bonnie’s pedophile father (for reasons unknown), something Bonnie tells Laurel not to tell Annalise about, then we find out that Laurel is the survivor of the Keating fire in the flashforward before it’s revealed that she’s also pregnant. It’s an interesting cliffhanger, but I sure hope the writers treat it with proper consideration and without any convoluted twists (such as having Wes be the father).
– How hilarious and amusing were Annalise and Eve at the bar? It’s a shame the show couldn’t keep Janssen as a regular. This season could seriously benefit from her presence.
– Connor uses Humper (seriously?) this week. Then, he hands out condoms to the two guys he brings back to his apartment. Slutty Connor is back?
– Did we know Frank’s dad was on a wheelchair?
– The university president Soraya is still not having it with Annalise’s bullshit, and I’m personally still expecting her to show up dead in the next couple of episodes.
– Nate sleeping with the ADA is a very soapy, eye-rolling twist. Why are you still on this show, dude?
– Wes’ pointless subplot this week: it was his birthday.
– Mary J Blige guest-stars next time. That should be interesting.
Eve: You definitely want to avoid a formal hearing. They’ll enjoy punishing you in public too much. Better to just make a statement in private, promise to go to anger-management classes.
Annalise: I’ll probably hit people there too.
Annalise: He killed my son. Maybe not with his own hands, but in what world do I not make him pay for that?
Nate: You’re an alcoholic.
Annalise: Of course I am, and that’s not just the vodka thing. That’s the me I’ve always been. And unfortunately, you’re the same you. So patient, so accommodating.
Nate: Not used to that in a man? That’s a problem for you?
Annalise: No, the problem is you’re a little bitch! That surprise you, huh? You want to hit me? Go ahead, hit me. Hit me! Hit me!
Nate: You’re a cancer. That’s why Sam cheated. Even Frank ran off.
Annalise: You’re cowards, all of you.
Nate: Who are you gonna ruin next? Eve?
Annalise: Eve’s got more balls than all of you!
A slightly disappointing yet highly destructive hour of television. As much as I love anti-heroes, it’s time this show gives us someone to root for.