Is it strange that I found this slightly entertaining?
One of the bright spots about this episode is that it actually makes us care about Connor, Michaela and Asher, which is unprecedented. The trio had a lot of amusing dynamics this week as the writers made all three much more sympathetic and easier to root for, and that’s something this show desperately needs right now. I still think it was a huge mistake to turn Asher into a cold-blooded killer last season (he was fine being a supporting character), but at least he’s shown some genuine remorse over the gang’s actions.
Sadly, the second half of the hour takes a huge nosedive and becomes one big pile of mess after the weekly case proves to be a snooze-fest. The writers need to include an edgy scene every now and then, and the result of that is an unnecessary, cringe-inducing sex montage.
Not only is it an amazingly horrible idea to pair Wes and Laurel together, but also it’s just become increasingly hilarious to watch this show mix and match its characters in horrendous sex scenes, hoping something would stick. Just like Bonnie/Asher, Annalise/Nate and Michaela/Levi (remember Eggs911?), this one makes no sense and will be definitely boring to watch.
– There was so much potential in the first half of the episode when everyone is freaking out over Frank possibly being after them. Sad to see this show unwilling to make Frank either a complete villain or off the show.
– Hilarious scene with Asher dancing and singing Cotton Eye Joe.
– It didn’t make that much sense for me to keep Wes from going to the police regarding Mahoney. And his breakup with Meggy was very quick.
– Awkward moment with Bonnie telling Annalise she loves her.
– That “your dad’s failed condom” joke felt like something a 14 year-old kid wrote.
– ADA Atwood returned and she was alright, especially when she kept objecting over Annalise’s questioning. Very intense.
– Incredibly satisfying exchange between Connor and Wes about everything that’s happened since Rebecca walked into their lives. Yes, Wes, it really is all your fault.
– Touching moment with Annalise coming clean to Wes about her baby, Frank’s involvement and wanting to be a good person.
– The Connor/Oliver drama is simply ATROCIOUS right now!
– Another weak cliffhanger that failed to interest me, but I am surprised Asher is alive in the flash-forward. I was nearly certain this show wanted to get rid of someone they didn’t think was very important.
– New drinking game: gulp everything whenever ABC promotes this as “TV’s biggest mystery”.
Annalise: You take another step, and I’ll chain you in the basement like Rebecca.
Annalise: I thought you’d have run off to Mexico to be with Frank by now.
Annalise: Since when have I not protected you? Even when I hated you?
While the first half of the hour is a vast improvement over the past few weeks, the second half turns out messy and forgettable.