This season has been needlessly boring, and sadly this week’s episode was more of the same.
The hour started off quite well with lots of momentum after the introduction of an intriguing new character, Dr. Eliza Minnick played by Marika Dominczyk (Brothers & Sisters). She’s out for the attendings’ blood and was both charming and threatening in the first half, but the second half of the hour turns her into a silly, unqualified consultant. Not only was she arrogantly butting into the doctors’ surgeries in the most outrageous ways, but were we also supposed to believe that she purposely cut a patient’s heart artery with absolutely no consequences in return? Give me a break!
The fact that she could be seriously replacing Dr. Webber as head of the residency program is certainly ripe with potential, but the buildup hasn’t been as successful or thrilling as I’d hoped for. It’s time the show picks up the pace a little and actually fires half a dozen of these doctors, although I don’t see them kicking Leah off after randomly bringing her back just last week. What a shame.
I wasn’t sure what would make the Amelia/Owen baby drama different from the Cristina/Owen storyline (except that Cristina is much more interesting than Amelia), and it certainly doesn’t help that we’re not as invested in this couple as we were in the other. Plus, doesn’t Owen deserve some happiness after all these years? Please, writers, don’t screw this up.
Bits & Scalpels
– I was surprised to learn that Marika Dominczyk is married to Scandal’s Scott Foley. Interesting.
– Hilarious moment between the attendings at the clinic freaking out over Dr. Minnick’s “list”.
– Dr. Bailey is still amazing this season. Gotta love how she tried helping Richard as much as she could while still being the Chief.
– Not enough Meredith this week! And I thought this season was supposed to focus on the originals again.
– Not only was Dr. Minnick quite terrible at her job, but she also hit on Arizona in the episode’s closing moments! How long until these two start dating and hiding it from the rest of the staff?
– Loved April and Jackson’s moment in the OR observation deck (which we seriously need to see more of), but their entire subplot felt like one big sponsored ad for Tinder. Yawn.
– Dr. Minnick suddenly opening up about her childhood to Richard was EXTREMELY random and cringe-inducing.
– New drinking game: take a sip every time Caterina Scorsone hides her very-obvious pregnant belly! Take an extra sip if she uses her purse.
Owen: When the light is blinking, it’s already too late.
Amelia: Who stops for gas before the light blinks?
Alex: This is because of me, isn’t it? They’re gonna overhaul the program because I beat up DeLuca.
Meredith: Everything isn’t about you. That doesn’t even make sense.
Alex: A teacher beat up a student.
Meredith: Oh. That makes sense.
Amelia (reading from the list): Who the heck is Emilio Shepherd?
Bailey (to Richard): Medicine is changing constantly. You’re the person who taught me that! And we—everyone here needs to be able to change along with it or get left behind!
Remember Home by Sebastian Kole (feat. Alessia Cara)
A new face at the hospital doesn’t bring as much excitement or change – two things this season is desperately in need of right now.