It feels REALLY good to have The Good Place back on my screen. Very few shows are as clever and consistently hilarious as this little gem. Thankfully, Leap to Faith proves that this show will never let up, as every single aspect is still firing on all cylinders.
Without even mentioning all the hysterical one liners (you can read them all below), Leap to Faith keeps the narrative churning at full speed. Yet again, the show effectively blows up its status quo as the gang is left to pick up the pieces of their demolished town after they successfully manage to trick Sean and all the demons to head to Mindy St. Claire’s farm. I continue to be amazed by just how effortlessly The Good Place keeps flipping everything on its head, and this hour is no different.
The best part of this episode is Michael’s comedy roast as he completely obliterates our core four. How magnificent is this scene? Not only is it forkin’ funny (and heartbreaking as he taps into all their insecurities), it includes tons of clever clues (1200 to be exact) that eventually allow the gang to escape Sean’s clutches. These writers are Gods I tell you!
Bits & Places
– The senior staff pin is a thumbs down – HA!
– Love how the gang pretends that they have just discovered they’re in the Bad Place.
– Epic: Janet restrained via magnets that get her drunk.
– Is there an actual song called “Grandma got run over by a reindeer?”. Because that’s just insane!
– The monster taking off his skin killed me.
– Why does drunk Janet want to braid people’s hair so much? Also, Bad Place Janet is a hoot. Love how she farts on Vicky after scanning the town. Oh, she’s also the town DJ because… of course!
– Gale screwing over Vicky made me laugh. Hope the latter escapes her cocoon soon!
– Did anyone else get almost teary eyed when Michael started crying? I seriously love how close he’s gotten to our gang!
– The “something something Vicky” shtick was priceless.
– So Mindy now has Derek as her sex slave (a fact that made me uncomfortable) and two bags of cocaine. I could watch a spinoff starring these two weirdos.
Sean: (to Michael) Your humans are experiencing emotional torture at the same level of physical torture, created by our squiggliest eyeball corkscrews. I’m jubilant.
Sean: The four of you will be brought to the real Bad Pace, where your brains will be removed, studied, and batted around a stadium like beach balls. Your arms will be peeled like bananas.
Jason: I can’t believe Michael betrayed us again. Why is it always the ones you most expect?
Tahani: No one can ever truly turn over a new leaf. Sure, Ben Affleck told me he’d matured as an artist after he directed “Argo,” but then, right on schedule, it was, “Guess what, Tahani, I’m gonna be Batman.”
Jason: I vote we-
Tahani: No, sorry, and no offense, Jason, but the stakes here are too high to let someone with your limited intellectual processing capacity weigh in.
Jason: I was gonna agree with you.
Tahani: Oh, great, well, that’s two votes for my plan.
Jason: I never thought I’d be the one to say it, but this is getting out of hand. I think we gotta go to the cops.
Eleanor: What cops? Where do you think we are?
Michael: (to Tahani) Tahani Al-Jamil, elegance, grace, sophistication, but enough about your sister.
Michael: (to Chidi) Now, when you taught the Trolley Problem, did you secretly wish that it could be you who wound up under the trolley? Because all your students did.
Tahani: That roast was the meanest thing I’ve ever seen, and I once saw a waiter bring Russell Crowe the wrong tea.
Michael: (to Vicky) Now, you just relax. Enjoy yourself. Rip a cat in half.
Sean: (to Michael) Honestly, I’m still partial to the old-fashioned scorpion diapers, but you’ve done great work here.
Tahani: I’m going to tell you the same thing I told Pippa Middleton right before we went paragliding in Gibraltar. “Let’s go.”
The Good Place returns with yet another stunning hour of television. I have no words!