The introduction of bond court has done wonders for The Good Wife.
This brand new setting has imbued the show with a bold new energy that keeps everything fresh and gives Alicia an unpredictable challenge in the process. I was absolutely captivated watching our girl navigate her case-of-the-week (a racist upscale department store), not to mention the increasingly-annoying Judge whatshisface. Sure his mean shtick is getting old (and I’d prefer if it was more layered), but it allows Alicia to think on her feet and prove him wrong time and again. This storyline also verified Lucca’s theory about Alicia “caring too much” as she struggled to prove the innocence of her wrongfully-accused clients.
And the trials of Ruth Eastman continue. Anything Margo Martingale does is amusing, and I loved watching her suffer the consequences of Eli turning Jackie and Grace on her. Of course, the resourceful campaign manager proved that she’s more than cunning herself, and played both ladies by the end of the hour in a most clever manner. Can we please have more scenes of Ruth interacting with the Florrick clan? Comedy gold I tell you.
Taxed‘s ending also has a ton of potential with Alicia pretty much asking Lucca to open up a business with her. It took the writers a whole lot of seasons, but Alicia finally has a really great dynamic with another woman again, and I’m eager to see how these two can further kick ass together. Here’s hoping Lucca is a big part of The Good Wife for a long time to come.
Cases & Bits
– I love that after all these seasons, Diane totally knows how to play Canning and his sympathy tricks in court (dropping things, popping pills, etc…)
– “Perps by the pound”? That’s actually kinda catchy.
– Bernie calling Alicia a liar for stealing his clients – Not cool! The Florrick reputation really is in the dumps huh?
– I was proud of Alicia for declining Cary’s request so confidently since she doesn’t’ want to owe Peter anything. Well played ma’am.
– How was great was the banter between Jackie and Eli while cooped up in that tiny office?
– Who else felt bad for Jackie standing in the hallway on her own?
– Taxed gave us some intriguing backstory about Alicia’s new investigator Jason. Apparently he was disbarred for punching a judge. Now that’s interesting!
Jackie: So this is your new office?
Eli: Yes, Jackie.
Jackie: It’s not as big as it once was.
Eli: That’s right. And you’re dressing up more?
Jackie: No, these are my usual clothes.
Eli: Are you sure? I don’t remember you showing so much cleavage.
Some hilarious character dynamics made for a quirky and engaging hour of The Good Wife.